May 21,22 & 23 from Biarritz to Spain : The purpose of this trip was to ride across our beautiful Basque Country and share together what are the most important things for us, I mean , good friends, good motorcycles , good food and nice landscape. It was the first meeting of the Southsiders since a while. From Biarritz to Hondarribia thru St Jean de Luz, from Arcangues to San Sebastian thru the Baztan Valley, across theJaizquibel to Pasaia we had 3 great sunny days of riding.
We had the chance to have two guests riding with us, Paul D'Orleans who came from his sunny California to visit us and Yves J. Hayat.
The L.D.F: (Long Distance Friends) From Toulouse: Daniel & Laurent, Jean-Jacques & Sylvie, Jerome & Valérie, Vincent & Tania From Paris: Yves From San Francisco: Paul From Biarritz Alain, Gilles, Michel & Karine,Olivier, Faizath & Frank. 4 Triumph, 5 Norton and 1 Moto Guzzi. Apart the Guzzi who's made for highways and largest roads, the Brit irons were like in their garden, on the tortuous roads of Pays Basque. The engines singing and the cycles parts swinging, three days without spanners and screwdrivers; Once there was "Café Racers", for us there's the "Tavern to Tavern" riding. Thanks to all the girls for coming and riding with us, the fun is complete !
A PARTLY PAINTED BENT STEEL AND ALUMINIUM BICYCLE BY JEAN PROUVE, CIRCA 1941
This bicycle is the only complete example left of this model known to exist. A bicycle frame of this model is part of the collections of the Centre Georges Pompidou, Musée National d'Art Moderne and featured in the exhibition 'Jean Prouvé, Constructeur' held in 1991. Prouvé designed this bicycle during the war, in a time of great economic turmoil, with the hope to facilitate his employees' journey between their homes and the ateliers
Jean Prouvé (8 April 1901 - 23 March 1984) was a French engineer and designer. His main achievement was transferring the manufacturing technology from industry to the architecture, without losing the aesthetic qualities. Jean was born in Nancy. He grew up surrounded by the ideals and energy of his father Victor Prouvé's art collective, "l'École de Nancy". This school came together with the intent of making art readily accessible, to forge a relationship between art and industry, and to articulate a link between art and social consciousness.
Prouvé was first apprenticed to a blacksmith, Émile Robert, and then to the metal workshop of Szabo. In Nancy in 1923 he opened what would be the first in a string of his own workshops and studios. He produced wrought iron lamps, chandeliers, hand rails and began designing furniture. In 1930 he helped establish the Union of Modern Artists whose manifesto read, "We like logic, balance and purity."
Although Jean Prouvé shaped his public image around the idea that he was not married to a specific aesthetic, the tenets of "l'École de Nancy" were certainly a powerful influence on his body of work. "I was raised," Prouvé says, "in a world of artists and scholars, a world which nourished my mind."
He opened the successful "Ateliers Jean Prouvé" in 1931 and began collaborating with French architects Eugène Beaudoin and Marcel Lods on projects such as the Maison du Peuple in Clichy, an aviation club and an army camp. He also collaborated with Charlotte Perriand and Pierre Jeanneret on a variety of furniture designs. The war kept "Ateliers" in business manufacturing bicycles and a stove called "Pyrobal" that could burn on any fuel. During the war Prouvé was also politically active as a member of the Resistance and he was recognized for this involvement after the war by being named mayor of Nancy. He was also made a member of the Advisory Assembly after Liberation and made the Departmental Inspector for Technical Education. "Ateliers Jean Prouvé" were commissioned by the Reconstruction Ministry to mass-produce frame houses for refugees.
In 1947 he built the Maxéville factory where he produced furniture and undertook extensive architectural research on the uses of aluminum. They built industrial buildings from aluminum and sent hundreds of aluminum sheds to Africa. After Maxéville he started "Constructions Jean Prouvé" whose major works were a cafe in Evian, a pavilion for the centennial of aluminum and the Abbey Pierre house. In 1957 he started the Industrial Transport Equipment Company and built the Rotterdam Medical School, the Exhibition Center in Grenoble and the Orly Airways Terminal façade.
The metal furniture of Jean Prouvé was produced copiously in every studio and workshop. The style is set apart from the Bauhaus steel furniture of the time by his rejection of the steel tube technique. Prouvé had more faith in the durability and form of sheet metal, "bent, pressed, compressed than welded". His designs speak of a work philosophy that includes knowledge of the materials at hand, a commitment to collaboration between artists and craftsmen, an attention to evolving technical developments, and "the principle of never postponing decisions so as neither to lose the impetus nor indulge in unrealistic forecasts". Prouvé was influential in the development of the idea of nomadic architecture, likening a chair to a house, and designing both with portability in mind.
This is Jean Claude Barrois new work: a Terrot racer, Isn't she cute ? with 26" wheels, and a 350 cc Jap/Terrot engine. Be sure with him, that's only the first version of the bike and she will live many changes in her new life, because "A biker works is never done!"
Falcon just send us this great video made by a friend of them. Its a really cool video take time to look at it and enjoy F Amaryllis i just had dinner with Paul and Yves in Paris tonight it was cool and tells me you're both going well, happy to know that. Rest of the trip soon ...
This year our goal is to stage Hawaii’s highest quality LIVE surf auction. We are proud to have staged four very successful surf auctions in 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007. The 5th biennial surf auction is scheduled for July 17 & 18, 2009, once again at the Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Besides the auction itself, the secondary reason for staging these events is to bring together surfing’s characters, craftsmen, legends and the hero’s of our sport. This is an unprecedented social gathering that is unlike any other auction on offer. In years past we have seen the likes of: Matt Kivlin, Joe Quigg, Dick Brewer, Greg Noll, Charlie Galanto, Bing Copeland, Ben Aipa, Bob Sheppard, Bob “Ole” Olson and Tom Morey representing the golden era of surfboard manufacturing. Surf stars of the 60’s have included: Rusty Miller, Joey Cabell, Fred Hemmings, Ricky Grigg, Jock Sutherland, Buffalo Keaulana, Henry Preece, Felipe Pomar, Ray Beatty, Peter Cole and Rabbit Kekai. The 70’s have been well represented by shapers and surfers such as: Bill Barnfield, Chuck Andrus, Mark Richards, Peter Townend, Larry Bertlemann, Gerry Lopez, Terry Fitzgerald, Jeff Crawford and Rory Russell. Surfer/ artists, such as John Severson, Mike Doyle have attended, as has Hollywood stars such as Don Stroud. The gathering of surf talent alone always sets the Hawaiian Islands Vintage Surf Auction apart from all others.
From the Airport- Take H1 into Honolulu. Exit on the Kinau exit, take the first right (Ward Ave), go down 2 1/2 blocks and it is on the left-hand side.
As the summer is almost here, its time to think seriously about having fun on the water, surfing is a god way but here is another one ...
Baby Bootlegger is perhaps the most beautiful wooden boat ever built. She won the 1924 and 1925 Gold Cup race. The race began as a free-for-all in the early part of the century. However, when the racers developed into overpowered creatures with three and four V-12 engines, the race was changed in the twenties into a class with a requirement for four seats, one engine and a limit on engine size. It was to be a 'gentleman's run-about', and Baby Bootlegger was the pinnacle boat of this group. Today, the Gold Cup race is an unlimited class with Miss Budweiser and other powerful boats.
Baby Bootlegger is a thirty-foot pontoon of varnished mahogany. Except for the open cockpit way in the back, it is an unbroken stretch of mahogany.
Baby Bootlegger had three technological innovations. First, the classic boat design has a 'hard sheer', which means that there's a sharp angle between the deck and the sides of the hull where they meet. Baby Bootlegger was the first boat to have a 'rolled sheer', with the deck smoothly rolling over to meet the hull.
Second, until Baby Bootlegger , the back of the boat was either a straight or wide-vee transome. At the waterline, Baby Bootlegger has a standard transome, but above the water there is a long overhang. This is essentially a large fairing that takes the hull shape back to a sharp point. This combined with the rolled sheer makes the boat look like an upside-down canoe. There are good aerodynamic reasons for this design, but it was seen by many as a matter of styling, and soon after a number of cars were built with varnished mahogany and tulipwood aft-decks: the Stutz Blackhawk, various Hispano-Suizas and Isotta-Fraschinis, Duesenbergs and the Auburn Boattail Speedster.
Third, the rudder was a 4° wedge, like the X-15's controls, instead of the usual airfoil shape, which would wallow in a neutral band of marginal control before it took effect. Not only was this the first application of a wedge rudder on a boat, but also it wasn't until 20 years later that it was tried again.
Baby Bootlegger will do 70 mph flat-out. In addition to being a stunningly beautiful boat, she is considered by many the best handling in any boat.
Tromelin Island; French: Île Tromelin is a low, flat 0.8 square kilometres (200 acres) island in the Indian Ocean, about 350 kilometres (220 mi) east of Madagascar (Geographic coordinates 15°53′32″S 54°31′29″E . There are no harbours or anchorages and access by sea is difficult. The island has a 1,000 metres (3,300 ft) airstrip. It is a French territory. It is claimed by Mauritius and the Seychelles.
The famous French writer Irene Frain give us with this book : " Les Naufragés de L'Ile Tromelin " a wonderful and arounsing testimony of this dark period of the slaves trade .
The island was first recorded by a French navigator in 1722. In 1761 the French ship Utile, carrying slaves from Madagascar to Mauritius, ran onto the reefs of the island. The crew reached Madagascar in a raft, abandoning some 60 slaves on the desert island. Fifteen years later in 1776, the chevalier de Tromelin, (from whom the island takes its name) captain of the French warship La Dauphine, visited the island and rescued the survivors — seven women and an eight-month-old child. Tromelin Island was occupied by France in 1954 while it was part of Mauritius and it is claimed by Mauritius.